Post operative expectations:
- The procedure for the majority of the patients is pain free. In fact, some patients call it relaxing.
- You may feel some scratchiness or pressure on your lids for about 24 hours.
- Antibiotics and steroid drops may be prescribed for a short duration after the procedure.
- If you are not already on non ester based Omega-3 supplements (fish oil), they will be prescribed.
- Relief is not immediate. Most dry eye patients have had this disease for years. By one month’s end you should notice significant relief, and you will be seen by your doctor at 2 months.
- Most patients will notice relief from their symptoms that lasts from nine to twelve months or more. Dry eye disease is a chronic condition. Like all chronic conditions, the symptoms and the causes are addressed, but not cured in the traditional sense. The procedure may need to be repeated if and when symptoms recur. This is typically sometime between nine and excess of thirty-six months.